Welcome!


Join me as we have fun with our dogs, and then paddle along with the Dog Paddlers—a dragon boat team in Victoria, Canada. You'll meet my Silky Terriers—Abby, Zack, Sami and Gemma—and their feline sister, Bridget. Share with us the joys and challenges of strengthening the human-canine bond as we participate with our dogs in canine agility, trailwalks and canine freestyle.

Monday, August 23, 2010

ABBY THE AGILITY PRINCESS

Well, I still don't think I have the definitive Abby-with-trophy picture, but this appears to be the best I can do at the moment. I tried some indoor shots; those didn't work. So I took her outside and set her and the trophy on top of the storage bin. Still not the best approach, and her fur is so light-coloured that it always throws the metering off in the camera. Not to mention that she needs a good grooming. Nonetheless, here she is in her very blonde, very messy glory, hanging out with her Novice High in Trial award from the ScallyWaggs NADAC Summer Melt-athon agililty trial this past weekend.



Things are a bit topsy-turvy in the back yard, with the new patio cover going up. This was an unexpected occurrence today; the installer phoned at about 7:30 this morning, saying "oh, I meant to call you on Friday, but forgot...but we'll be there in a few minutes to begin the installation." This commotion of course put the dogs into a big frenzy, with Zack eventually having to be taken next door to my sister's place as he got absolutely totally frantic at strangers being in his driveway and his backyard and making a ton of noise. The girls, surprisingly enough, didn't get too disturbed by it, and calmed down as soon as Zack went next door. Poor Zack. He got totally freaked out by the "flying tents" incident at the trial on Saturday, and then today, there's a major (and noisy) invasion of his home turf. What's a boy to do!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a fine photo of Abby! Well done!

I AM curious to know more about the 'flying tents' incident...poor Zack!

Please give all my cousin puppies hugs from me!

Editor said...

The "flying tents" were our pop-up shade tents. We had four of them cobbled together -- but not staked to the ground. The winds picked up...and so did our tents, cartwheeling over the cars parked behind the tents. Zack leapt out of the x-pen and was running frantically around, totally freaked out. The girls were just sort of "ho-hum, our shade seems to have disappeared, and there are suddenly a lot of people all around us flailing about with fabric and metal."

Surprisingly enough, the shade tents seemed to have come through relatively unscathed; a few of the vehicles sustained some minor scratches. Mine luckily didn't, the tent that landed on it having landed upside down with the fabric side on the car roof. Thank goodness. I'd had the car exactly 72 hours at that point, having been talked into a 2010 Versa by the Nissan dealer (the same thing I had before, only the grey one was a 2007) for less payments and more features.

Oh, by the by, I have spent the gift certificate...I now have the cat earrings similar to my dog earrings. Thank you very much!

Anonymous said...

Poor, poor Zack! I would have been freaking out too!

Hmmmm...less payments for more car? Sweet deal, I'd say.

Now you can wear a puppy in one ear and a kitten in another ear--everyone will think they belong together as a set, and they really do (as you know from experience!)...

xo